Primus Classic: Janse van Rensburg and Dougall prominent at the front

Matteo Trentin (Quickstep-Floors) put on a classy solo act to win the Primus Classic. Jempy Drucker (BMC Racing) crossed the line 2nd a few seconds behind and Andre Greipel (Lotto-Soudal) led the peloton home for 3rd place.

The 200km Primus Classic saw some typically exciting Belgian racing, particularly over the final 60km with small groups constantly going off the front of the peloton. The first real threatening attack saw 17 riders gain 25 seconds over the peloton with 45km to go and Nic Dougall was in the move for our African Team.

Bernie Eisel and Reinardt Janse van Rensburg were attentive to all counter moves coming from the peloton and this eventually saw Dougall’s group being caught with 30km to go. The next attack went clear almost immediately and Janse van Rensburg quickly jumped across the gap before the group of 15 riders really pressed on. With 4 Quickstep riders in the front split though, the break didn’t really work that well together and so their lead was held to around 30 seconds.

Trentin, who was part of the Dougall group earlier and now also in Janse van Rensburg’s lead group, was clearly the strongest rider on the day. With 6km to go he attacked from the front of the lead group and only Drucker could follow him. As the duo rode away, the remnants of the break were swallowed up by the peloton. Trentin then shook Drucker off with 2km to go and soloed to victory, Drucker just held off the peloton for 2nd.

Greipel led the reduced peloton home and Mark Renshaw was our first rider across the line, in 20th place on the day.

Reinardt Janse van Rensburg – Rider
It was a very hard and aggressive race today. I managed to get into the move of the day, with four Quickstep riders. Most of the the other teams had 1 or 2 represented but with Quickstep having the numbers, the cohesion was not good. This made it really hard for everyone. Towards the end my legs ran out a bit and Trentin was really strong to ride away. Unfortunately, we were caught with 3.5km to go.